Sunday, December 31, 2017

Our past does not have to define who we are in the future, but overcoming our past can show others what their future CAN look like.




Galatians 5:22-23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." (KJV)

Galatians 5:22-23, "But the fruit that the Spirit produces in a person’s life is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these kinds of things." (ERV)

Galatians 5:22-23, " But what happens when we live God’s way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely." (The Message) 


Faith.

According to the dictionary, 'faith' is described as, "belief that is not based on proof; belief in God or in the teachings of religion; the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc." 

God has called us to a life of faith according to Galatians. He has called us to believe in His Word, even when we don't have the proof. He has called us to believe in Him, even when we might not understand what He is doing at the time.

One thing I always faced growing up was the question of 'How can you believe in God when you can't see Him.' You wouldn't believe how many people questioned this in my lifetime. It is hard to grasp that we fully trust in someone we have not seen with our own eyes.

Hebrews 11:1, 3 states, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen....Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear." (KJV)

Hebrews 11:1, 3- "Faith is the assurance of things you have hoped for, the absolute conviction that there are realities you’ve never seen... Through faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God; everything we now see was fashioned from that which is invisible." (Voice)

We believe because of faith. I believe in Jesus Christ because even though I can't see Him, I can feel Him moving in every aspect of my life. Even at my lowest point in this life, I never once doubted that God existed because I knew what I felt when I prayed to Him. I knew how it felt for Him to wrap His arms around you. And now that He has been leading me on a journey of restoring my relationship with Him, I can feel His presence even stronger- the first word of a prayer that comes out of my mouth- one mention of His name. And that is all the proof I need to know that He is with me, listening to me, talking to me, loving me.

Hebrews 11:6 states, "Without faith no one can please God because the one coming to God must believe He exists, and He rewards those who come seeking." (Voice)

If you want your faith in God renewed, read Hebrews chapter 11 completely. It will bless your soul. It gives numerous accounts of immense faith in the biblical times. For most, faith was all they had left. Sometimes God has to strip us down to where that's all we have left to hold on to. I've been there....

Faith healed a great deal of people in Biblical times. The knowledge that Jesus Christ could do anything within His Will if we only asked. In Matthew chapter 9, we read about a woman who had been sick with an issue of blood for 12 years. She had spent all her money- lost a lot of time- just trying to find someone to heal her. But she knew that if she could just get to Jesus just one time and touch Him, she would be healed. And she did just that. Jesus said, 'Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole.'

Imagine what we could do in this world with this kind of faith.

There are countless accounts in the Bible where faith made someone whole. Sicknesses healed, the dead raised, the blind were able to see, the lame could walk. All because of FAITH.

We are called to have faith in Jesus Christ- faith that He will act in His time, faith that He can heal, faith that He will heal, faith that He will listen to our prayers, faith that He will not leave us or forsake us...

Our relationship with Him is based on faith and this must be renewed every single day. Trusting Him, communicating with Him, leaning on Him...

"If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it."

"Prayer is bringing your wishes and worries to God. Faith is leaving them there."

"Faith does not make things easy. It makes them possible!"

"To trust God in the light, that is nothing but to trust Him in the dark...  that's faith." [C.H. Spurgeon] 

"You have been assigned this mountain to show others that it can be moved."

Our faith can change our life..

And it can change other's lives as well.

I hate anxiety.

I hate it with a passion.

But God has been helping me shift my focus from resenting it to overcoming it so that by my testimony, others can come to know Jesus Christ and the peace He gives.

"There is an appropriate way to use your story, not as an excuse but as a testimony to God's ability to free you from your past." [Andy Stanley]

I have zero excuses for my past. I don't know why certain things have happened, I don't know why I did certain things-- BUT, I do know that God has taken those terrible things and has built a foundation of LOVE FOR HIM from the ground up with them!!! 

Our past does not have to define who we are in the future, but overcoming our past can show others what their future CAN look like.

I pray to God every single day that others will see the changes in my life-- and that they will trust God to do the same thing for them. I'm telling you- if He can do it for me, He can do it for anyone.

Are you going through a hard time right now? Does your faith need a refresher? Do you feel like you've gone too far in your past to be used by God? 

Talk to Him today.

Jesus, I ask that you give us the faith that moves mountains. I ask that You help us to remember You are in every situation- every circumstance- even when we cannot see You. Help us to remember that You are good- and You work everything out for our good. You are faithful. You are merciful. Jesus, I ask that you shift our focus from our problems today to Your Word. You promised to comfort us and be there for us in every situation. Help us to rest in that today. 

Psalms 33:4 states, "For the word of the Eternal is perfect and true; His actions are always faithful and right." (Voice)

Psalms 37:3 states, "Believe in the Eternal, and do what is good— live in the land He provides; roam, and rest in God’s faithfulness." (Voice)

God is faithful. It might not FEEL like it some days, but we cannot rest on our emotions-- we have to rest in His Word. He is faithful-- and He will be there for you every step of this journey.

Let your faith in Him be renewed today. Let Him give you rest. 

No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...