Thursday, June 9, 2011

Minus the Nagging

"A true man does not promise, he commits. A true woman does not demand, she thanks." 
 WHJKANJKAHFUIAHEWKFNEAJWN
Those could be the exact feelings I had when I first read that quote, haha! As a wife, I struggle with this. If you hadn't noticed.. I have kind of a big mouth. I don't think I'm 'mean' per se, but I do 'get on' my husband quite often about things that need done around the house, about purchases he has made, etc. Of course, I try not to nag. I'm subtle (or at least I THINK I am, haha!) 
For example: (trash is overflowing out of the trash can-- his duty!) So, I laugh and say, "Wonder if this trash will evaporate?" *giggle giggle* to which he replies, "Oh, baby, I'll get it soon..." He wasn't upset about my little joke.... but he knows it was merely a smirky way of me saying 'HEY YOU! THIS TRASH ISN'T GOING TO TAKE OUT ITSELF!"
Ugh. I never wanted to be a naggy wife. I always wanted to be cool, calm.. laid back. But instead, I find myself griping about the littlest things that E does. Shaving his beard and leaving hair in the sink. Baby-powdering his manly region so he doesn't chaff, but getting baby powder all over the bathroom floor. Leaving his clothes right in front of the hamper. Leaving his shoes in front of the door so I trip over them coming in. Leaving his plate BESIDE the sink as opposed to in it... oh, I know, I could seriously go on, haha!
But truth of the matter is-- I feel like I'm driving him away some days by complaining about these. Do I feel like he should have his way and do whatever he wants without regard to consequences? Nope. But looking at the bigger picture... is leaving his plate beside the sink really that terrible? Is it too hard for me to put it in the sink without opening my chops? I mean, honestly-- my husband is a great husband. He works very hard for our family. He always puts us first. He would give me a million dollars to get whatever I wanted if he could. He cleans out my car. He mows the lawn. He works 11 hour shifts and still comes home and does outside house work. He weeds the garden. He makes bottles for Tayler. Changes her diaper. Helps me with baths. Throws the laundry in (when I ask LOL).... He really does a lot, so why do I always focus on the things he DOESN'T do that drive me bananas? LOL
A true woman doesn't demand. She thanks.
So, in writing this blog, I've realized I need to change my focus. Maybe if I start thanking him for the things he does do around the house (as opposed to constantly demanding more..), he might be more apt to doing other things (such as making the bed? LOL) I am a naggy wife and I don't want to be. I want to be a thankful wife. I want to appreciate him and pray that through this appreciation, he wants to do the things I nag him about minus the nagging...



Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

6 comments:

Baby Humphrey said...

Love it! It's something I struggle with as well! Mike is the same...very hardworking and does sooo much for us! And I, unfortunately nag, nag, nag. Yeesh!

Rachel said...

Love this! I am naggy too. Good reminder to quit that nasty habbit!

eMiLy.jaNe.LaLLathiN said...

We are SOOOO in the same boat!!! I think my biggest hurdele is the fact that if Ronnie asks me to do something for him/pick something up at the store for him/ect. I ALWAYS do it because I knows it's important to him, so when he can't do the same for me I take it SOOO personally.. I can surely put Aidyn in the pack.n.play, put on my shoes and walk the garbage outside BUTTT if he says he will do it I have this mindset that he should.. The Brady's totally made marriage look TONS easier ;]

I've def. been letting more things go but I worry if I never say anything he will become accustomed to not following through with his chores and that could rub off on our children at some point..

It's crazy.. we lived with each other for 1 year and 3 days b4 our wedding. and have been married almost 2 years and the same exact issues are still there.. I try to remind myself that he doesnt even look at other women, doesnt drink excessively and works SO HARD but the pee on the toilet seat sends all that out the window LoL

Kelly said...

You are so inspiring!!! I try so hard not to be naggy but find myself stuggling a lot, especially lately with needing more help around the house. Today I start trying to be more of a thankful wife....Thankyou for this message!!! (I'm sure James will thank you too!)

Kayce said...

I love this! I do the same thing and I am working on not doing it!

ajmaxwell0506 said...

This is great!!! I wish I would've have done this or realized how bad I was 5 years ago, but everything happens for a reason and if we would've stayed together, I wouldn't have my beautiful baby girl!!

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...