Saturday, December 30, 2017

Proverbs 31 Woman: Day 20- The Sacrifice of A Momma




Proverbs 31:24 states, "She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant." (KJV)

Proverbs 31:24- "She makes linen clothes and sells them. She provides belts to the merchants." (ICB)

Proverbs 31:24- "She designs gowns and sells them, brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops." (The Message)





What I gather from Proverbs 31:24 is this: the Proverbs 31 woman did whatever it took (within Biblical standards) to take care of her family. If it meant making her own clothes and selling them. If it meant staying up all hours of the night to care for them. If it meant finding extra clothes for them to wear during the winter. She did what she had to to ensure that her entire family was taken care of.

This verse seems appropriate for today. Happy Mother's Day to all you Mommas out there. I'm sure you feel the same way as the woman in Proverbs 31- you will do whatever it takes to make sure your family is cared for.

Donna Ball shared a great quote- "Motherhood is a choice you make everyday, to put someone else's happiness and well-being ahead of your own, to teach the hard lessons, to do the right thing even when you're not sure what the right thing is... and to forgive yourself, over and over again, for doing everything wrong." Motherhood is a choice you make every day to put someone else's happiness ahead of your own. Motherhood is about sacrifice-- and I know the Proverbs 31 woman understood that. I'm sure there were other things she wanted to be doing than making and designing gowns and selling them, but she knew her family needed that. She understood the greater good and what her sacrifice would mean for her entire family.

I was toiling over this verse this morning because I instantly felt guilty. I'm being honest, guys. I don't have a lot of great talents. I'm not very crafty. I'm not very organized. I can barely keep our house together some days. I felt this instant guilt and shame that I wasn't doing enough around our home to bless our family or help our family.

And God hit me like a ton of bricks. He said, "I gave everyone talents and those talents are diverse. Where one might be great at art, the other is great at music, and so on. And I love when people use their talents for the greater good. But the most important thing I want from mothers is the sacrifice of a dedicated prayer life. Waking up and pleading my blood over your family before they step out that door." I heard a quote once that stated, "There are few things more powerful than the prayers of a righteous mother," and that touched my heart. 

One thing we can excel at... one thing we can do to benefit our family... is be a praying mother. A mother that intercedes for her husband, intercedes for her children, intercedes for her other loved ones. The Proverbs 31 woman understood about sacrifice... and so can we. We might not want to get out of bed in the morning.. we might want to continue sleeping, but imagine the outpouring of love and protection that can fall on your family while they are still asleep through you crying out to God.

I remember growing up, I could hear my mom praying for all of us while she was getting ready for work. I could hear her pleading the blood over our lives-- praying that He would protect us, that He would help us be kind people, that He would help us make good decisions through out the day. I want to be that Mother for my children and I want to be that wife for my husband. God has called us to be the protectors and caretakers of our homes. It starts with us, Mommas. 

God, please help us to understand our roles as the mother of the home. You have called us to do whatever it takes to help our family-- and that all begins with having a prayer life. Help us to stay focused on You-- Your will, Your kingdom, Your desires. Help us to feel rested in the mornings so we can arise and pray over our families before the day begins. Help us to keep our minds on You through the day-- seeking Your presence in our homes, seeking Your voice in our decisions. 

"The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation." [James E. Faust]

You are needed.
You are wanted, Momma. 

No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...