Thursday, December 28, 2017

Proverbs 31 Woman: Day 4- Wool and Flax






We are going to break down Proverbs 31:13 today and discuss the first part this morning.

In Proverbs 31:13, it states, "She seeketh wool and flax..." (ASV) Another version states, "She seeks out wool and linen with care..." (NOG)

The one word that immediately sticks out to me in this verse is SEEKS.

I believe SEEKS is a powerful word-- greater than looks or wants.

According to the dictionary, 'seek' is described as, "attempts to find something, attempts or desires to obtain something, diligent searching."

Seek: try to find, to search
Look: to try to see

Every time I hear the word 'seek,' I think of Jeremiah 29:13: "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." Jesus didn't say 
look for me', he said SEEK me. The greatness and power behind that one word! The desperation in the word SEEK.

The woman of Proverbs 31 was SEEKING. This was one of her greatest concerns at this point in time and she was being diligent concerning it.

Next, she sought WOOL.

According to 'mylittlesheep.com', the question is asked, 'Why Wool?'

-  wool fabrics are very durable and flexible
-  wool fiber can withstand being bent 20,000 times without breaking
- wool absorbs  30% of its weight in moisture without feeling damp
- it keeps a person "warm without wet"
- wool is a temperature regulator
- in extreme weather conditions, wool can be a life-saver
- wool is an excellent insulator
- keeps heat close to the body
- wool garments do not soil easily
- wool is resistant to wear and tear
- it  is considered naturally flame retardant

The woman of Proverbs 31 was seeking the best for  her family. The absolute best. She wanted them to be warm, protected, clean, and taken care of.

And she sought FLAX (LINEN)

 Brahms  Mount discusses why linen is often chosen over cotton.

Linen is known to be the world’s strongest natural fiber. It is so durable it’s even used in paper money to increase strength.
- Linen lasts for a long period of time
- Linen can gain up to 20% moisture before it will first begin to feel damp.
- Linen has the natural ability to prevent bacterial growth
- Linen contributes to our comfort
- Linen is a natural insulator. It is valued for its ability to keep cool in the summer months and trap warmth in colder weather

Proverbs 31:13 is telling us that the virtuous woman worked hard to find the best quality fabrics for her family. She wanted them to be taken care of, without any doubt in her mind. I'm not saying that we need to go out and spend all of our money to have the 'finer things' in life, but we must be the best versions of ourselves for our families- willing to work hard to ensure that they are taken care of. They are worth it for us to do that. 


I need to be better about this-- about being the BEST version of ME for my family. Taking care of myself, so I can take care of them. This means getting control of the things that try to hold me down...

One day at a time..


No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...