Thursday, December 28, 2017

Proverbs 31 Woman: Day 8- Careful




The first part of Proverbs 31:16 states, "She considers a field and buys it...." (NIV)

Proverbs 31:16- She looks over a field and buys it... (The Message)

Proverbs 31:16- She gives careful thought to a field and buys it. (NLV)





I love those first four words in the NLV version. 'She gives careful thought.....'

In Proverbs 3:21 we read "My son, do not allow them to leave your eyes. Keep perfect wisdom and careful thinking" and in Proverbs 10:19, David writes, "The one who talks much will for sure sin, but he who is careful what he says is wise."

CAREFUL.

The dictionary defines careful as, "making sure of avoiding potential danger, mishap, or harm; cautious; heedful; alert; watchful; vigilant." 

The Proverbs 31 woman was careful when it came to buying a field and buying it- she was careful about the implications that would follow if she did purchase the field. She was careful about the price of the field. She was mindful of how the purchase would affect her family. She was alert- would she be able to utilize this purchase? Would it yield a profit or negatively affect her family?

We must have this CAREFUL mindset in all areas of our life.

I'll be the first to admit it- the one thing I'm the worst about being careful about is my mouth! It gets me in so much trouble... and it is so frustrating! Did you know the Bible says that 
"But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison...." (James 3) It is the toughest thing to control. 

After reading this verse, God hit me with conviction. My mouth-- I'm not careful with it. I felt like God was tugging on my heart telling me-- The Proverbs 31 woman was careful about how her decisions would affect her entire family..... and we must have this same mindset! How will my words affect my family? How will my decisions affect my family? Our family should be our first focus- protecting them, cherishing them, loving them, caring for them. We must be consistently mindful of how our actions... our words... can affect their lives.

That same chapter of James says that good things and bad things should not come from the same mouth. Sweet water and bitter water cannot come from the same fountain. What is proceeding out of our mouths today? I feel our words are the most difficult thing to be careful about. We can practice self-control in a lot of areas, but when it comes to that tongue.. it is so easy and so quick to speak negativity... gossip... harsh words to someone.

I saw a quote on Pinterest today that said, "The tongue weighs practically nothing, but so few people can hold it." And another quote said, "Listen carefully to how a person speaks about others to you. This is how they will speak about you to other people."

Jesus, help us to careful with our words. Help us to live lives that reflect You-- in our actions AND our words. Please help us to lift up other people. Let us sit and think before we speak ANYTHING. God, put Your hand over our mouth when anything negative or ill is getting ready to proceed out of it. TOUCH OUR HEARTS.... because Your Word says that out of the heart the mouth speaketh!! If our hearts are aligned with You and Your Spirit.. our mouth has to follow! Keep us full of Your Spirit Jesus so that we are careful in our activities through out the day... so we are thinking before we do anything! Thinking of YOU. Thinking of our family. We love You Jesus! Thank You for Your love!!! 

No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...