Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Taking Back My Mind: Learning Self-Control






Sitting here, talking to God today-- He kept overwhelming my spirit about: self-control.

In Galatians chapter 5, we learn that one of the fruits of the spirit is self-control. This is something we should be working towards, seeking with all of our hearts.

I know this is one area of my life I need the most work- and what better time to start than now.

I read a quote once that stated, "Self-discipline begins with the mastery of your thoughts. If you don't control what you think, you can't control what you do." 

And another great thought is this: "Self-discipline is your ability to listen to and take action based on your inner voice- regardless of how you feel, other influences, or temptations you face- is the key to self-mastery." 

I am someone that struggles with self-control-- especially when it comes to the battlefield of my mind. I honestly just let my mind run away with itself most days. I do little to control what I am thinking about-- which in turns means that I do little to control........................ me.

While researching on Pinterest, I found a great thought that I'm going to write down and keep with me at all times. 

"Like a muscle, the more you exercise self-control on a consistent basis, the stronger you get. As your self-control increases, the more you gain the ability to direct your life in a manner that is congruent with the true you. The more congruent your actions are with your thoughts and feelings, the better you feel about yourself and the decisions you make. Every time you feel good about a decision you make, it raises your self-esteem and your self-confidence. You also reinforce in your mind what you are capable of and it makes it less difficult to make similar decisions in life." 

Once I can grasp the concept of the fact that I CAN control my thoughts- my emotions- how I react to said thoughts----- I WILL gain strength. Once I gain strength- I will start becoming the TRUE version of myself. 

Being in control of my thoughts is difficult for me. Anxiety creates a block and makes it so tough for me to do at times. One great way to build up this strength- the strength to control thoughts- is to realize what I DO have control over.

Ruben Chavez broke this down for us on 'Think Grow Prosper." He told us about 26 things we DO have control over:

1. Our beliefs.
2 Our attitudes.
3. Our thoughts.
4. Our perspective.
5. How honest we are.
6. Who our friends are.
7. What books we read.
8. How often we exercise.
9. The types of food we eat.
10. The risks we take.
11. How we interpret situations.
12. How kind we are to others.
13. How kind we are to ourselves.
14. How often we say 'I love you'
15. How often we say 'thank you'
16. How we express our feelings.
17. Whether or not we ask for help
18. How often we express our feelings.
19. How many times we smile in a day.
20. The amount of effort we put forth.
21. How we spend/invest our money.
22. How much time we spend worrying.
23. How often we think about the past.
24. Whether or not we judge other people.
25. Whether or not we try again after a setback.
26. How much we appreciate the things we have.

Each day, I plan on trying to control one of these situations to prove to myself I HAVE that power. I do have it- I just need to tap into it.

The Bible gives a great picture of what a man or woman without self-control looks like.

Proverbs 12:16- "The [arrogant] fool’s anger is quickly known [because he lacks self-control and common sense], But a prudent man ignores an insult."

Proverbs 14:29- "He who is slow to anger has great understanding [and profits from his self-control], But he who is quick-tempered exposes and exalts his foolishness [for all to see]."

Proverbs 17:27- "He who has knowledge restrains and is careful with his words, And a man of understanding and wisdom has a cool spirit (self-control, an even temper)."

Proverbs 25:28- "Like a city that is broken down and without walls [leaving it unprotected] Is a man who has no self-control over his spirit [and sets himself up for trouble]."

Matthew 5:5- "“Blessed [inwardly peaceful, spiritually secure, worthy of respect] are the gentle [the kind-hearted, the sweet-spirited, the self-controlled], for they will inherit the earth."

Ephesians 4:1-2- "So I, the prisoner for the Lord, appeal to you to live a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called [that is, to live a life that exhibits godly character, moral courage, personal integrity, and mature behavior—a life that expresses gratitude to God for your salvation], with all humility [forsaking self-righteousness], and gentleness [maintaining self-control], with patience, bearing with one another [a]in [unselfish] love." 

Refuse to have a quick temper.
Refuse to be like a broken down city without walls.
Refuse to be an arrogant fool.
Refuse to lack self-control.

It is not healthy and it all goes back to one thing: WORKING ON IT. It will not happen over time, but it can happen with perseverance and PUSH. 

What do you need to exercise self-control over? It is your thoughts? Your eating habits? Your recreational activities? Your drinking habit? What steps can you take to learn more self-control?

It is within our reach. We just have to tap into that power. We have thought of ourselves as victims... too weak to overcome for far too long. You HAVE the ability. I HAVE the ability. We just have to push ourselves to find it. 


`

No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...