Saturday, January 6, 2018

The Journey of Proverbs: Chapter Three



The Purpose of Proverbs

Proverbs chapter 3 begins by reiterating the purpose of Proverbs. These commands in this chapter will help you live a long time-- a full and happy life.

These Proverbs should help us shine kindness and mercy. The world should not be able to take these away. They should be written on our hearts and we should be emitting these qualities every single day. 

Trust in the Lord

Proverbs 3:5 is one of my favorite verses: Trust in the Lord with all your heart. This should be our number one goal. Not relying on ourselves or own knowledge, but truly trusting in Him. I love how the Message describes this passage of scriptures by stating: "Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go." We should be in constant communication with Him- constantly seeking His Word. 'Don't assume you know it all!' Ask Him for help. Ask Him for assistance. Ask Him for advice.

Health

Proverbs 3:7-8, we read to fear the Lord (be in awe of Him- run to Him) and turn from evil.... and in doing these two things we will have health in our body [your marrow, your nerves, your sinews, your muscles—all your inner parts] and refreshment (physical well-being) to your bones.]

Turning from evil- turning from a life of sin will heal our bodies, our souls-- we will feel it in our bones. I know personally, since trying to make a lifestyle change and using God as my source of coping with anxiety as opposed to worldly ventures, my body and spirit have changed. As I feel anxiety and hypochondria creeping up, I find myself praying 'Jesus, You're all I have to fix this.... give me Your spirit and heal what is broken within me.' That's all I have been doing to combat the battlefield of my mind-- and it has truly been working! I feel like my anxiety was worse when I knew there was a bottle of wine sitting there waiting to 'rescue' me from my thoughts. Figuring out that there's inner strength with Jesus Christ has been empowering to my bones, my body, and my spirit.

Give Him the First

I LOVED reading the next set of scriptures because it is a constant reminder to give God what is FIRST. The FIRST part of our mornings. The FIRST part of our income. The FIRST part of US every day. He deserves the GOOD of us-- not the leftovers. Proverbs 3:9 says to honor God with everything we own- give Him the first and the best.

Such a constant reminder to get up in the morning and seek His face first thing. He promises that when we do this, our barns will burst (blessings will flow) and wine vats will flow over the brim (goodness will rain down.) BUT we should desire to give Him the best of us because He deserves it. Not for any other reason than this.

Discipline

I think the AMP version describes the next set of verses the best: learn from your mistakes and the testing that comes from His correction through discipline. 

Learn from our mistakes--

that's all God asks for us at times. 

To learn.

He doesn't require perfection, just a malleable spirit. 

"It's the child He loves that God corrects."

If He wasn't convicting us- if He wasn't allowing us to see the error in our ways, He wouldn't love us like He does. We need to take it- learn from it- and grow from it. 

Continuation of Wisdom..

Much of Proverbs describes wisdom. It is God's hope through this book that we will obtain as much wisdom as possible. One of my favorite words used to describe 'wisdom' is 'discernment.' Discernment means: to distinguish what is true and right. God LONGS to give this to us- if we would just be accepting of it.

Wisdom is worth more than money, more than a large salary. Wisdom exceeds wealth- nothing can hold a candle to her.

We should desire and seek after wisdom as much as possible-- as diligently as possible.

Proverbs says- one one hand wisdom will give you a long life. 
On the other hand- wisdom will give recognition. 

I want the long life part.

She's a tree of life to those who embrace her.
Hold wisdom tight- you'll be blessed.

Guard

One of my favorite parts of Proverbs is the discussion of GUARDING things.

According to the dictionary, 'guard' is described as, "to keep safe from harm or danger. Protect."

Proverbs reminds us to PROTECT wisdom, PROTECT freedom of choice (discretion/common sense.) Protect it with your life. It is SO valuable. Don't lose sight of them. Don't let the world cloud your vision. 

Wisdom. Discretion. They'll keep your soul alive.

Wisdom is the power of deciding what WILL affect you and WON'T affect you. And by having that power-- you WILL keep your soul alive. You WILL decide what is going to affect your emotions. You WILL decide what will impact your day. 

One of my FAVORITE verses in Proverbs goes back to guarding wisdom and rooting our minds in it. Proverbs 3:24-25 says, "Then you will walk on your way [of life] securely
And your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid. When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet." 
24 
As someone that struggles with anxiety- and struggles with falling asleep at night, this verse is something that I need to consistently remember. Actually, as I write this, I'm writing these verses down on a piece of paper and laying it on my end table.  (Another great one is Psalms 4:8- At day's end I am ready for sound sleep for You God have put my life back together.)

The following verses continue to remind us of what God's wisdom can do for us.

You won't need to panic. You won't need to worry.

God will be right there with you... He'll keep you safe and sound.

Helping Others

Proverbs 3:27 starts off with telling us to never walk away from someone who deserves help. Your hand IS God's hand for that person. If you have the money or resources to help others, please help them. God asks us to not take advantage of others-- just to love them and help them. Casting Crowns sings a great song called "If We Are the Body" that reminds me of these verses. "But if we are His body, why aren't His arms reaching? Why aren't His hands healing? Why aren't His words teaching? And if we are His body, why aren't His feet going?" 

God says "Do not walk around with a chip on your shoulder always looking for a fight." He doesn't want us to be a bully. He doesn't appreciate twisted souls.

He wants us to be so full of love that nothing else matters.

He BLESSES the home of the righteous and just-- what does our homes look like?????

He gives grace to the humble.





No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...