Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Journey of Proverbs: Proverbs 1



Proverbs is one of my favorite books of the Bible. I love reading it because you always get a new little nugget of truth from it. Something that allows you to see life differently. Something that convicts you. Something that encourages you. Something that helps you grow into the person you were created to be. 

I thought we could journey through Proverbs together over the next 31 days- one day for each chapter. We will discuss the little truths hidden throughout each verse-- and hopefully grow as individuals through the process. What a better way to start the new year than by studying the book of Proverbs. 

The Purpose of Proverbs

The first thing we learn from Proverbs chapter 1 is this:

God gave these words to Solomon "so we will know how to live well and right.. to understand what life means and where it's going. A manual for living, for learning what's right and just and fair."  (Proverbs 1:1-2)

God gave us Proverbs to earn from. Everyone of us has room to grow-- room to learn-- room to be a better individual than we were yesterday. 

Bowing Down to God

Proverbs chapter 1 continues stating that the first step is: bowing down to God. Worshiping Him. Worship is the gateway to understanding. It is the secret to a malleable heart. Without worship, without prayer, without truly knowing God-- we won't be as accepting to the truths God wants us to understand and retrieve.

Our Choice of Company

The next nugget we can take from this chapter is: "If bad companions tempt you, don't go along with them." So many times we are tempted to follow the crowd, but this can be extremely damaging to our souls if we aren't careful. You all know I love me some Pinterest time and they have some incredible quotes on there about the company we keep.

"Be picky about who you keep around you. Personalities, words, and traits do rub off naturally."

"As much as people refuse to believe it, the company you keep does have an impact and influence on your choices."

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than to be in bad company."

It is so important who we choose to be around. We are creatures of habit-- and what we see, we may begin to change into.

The Importance of Wisdom and Knowledge

God warns us of the dangers of not adhering to knowledge and wisdom in Proverbs chapter 1. He writes, "Because you hated knowledge and had nothing to do with the fear of God, because you wouldn't take my advice, and brushed aside all of my offers to train you..... carelessness kills, complacency is murder." (Proverbs 1:31-32)

God says in Proverbs 1:22-24 "How long will you refuse to learn?.... I can revise your life. Look, I'm ready to pour out my spirit on you. I'm ready to tell you all I know. As it is, I've called, but you've turned a deaf ear. I've reached out to you, but you've ignored me."

God wants to give all of us the wisdom and knowledge we need to do good in this life. We cannot be the people we were called to be without wisdom. Without understanding. Without the fear of God. Pride often interferes with this- thinking we 'know it all' or we have nothing to gain from the Word of God. It is a dangerous area to live. 

Peace

Proverbs chapter 1 ends with the verse, "Now you can take it easy- you're in good hands." And there is a wave of peace that rolls over you when you read that.  You're in good hands. You can relax. You are alright. 


I am so excited to continue this journey with you tomorrow. I hope we can all grow and learn from this book-- together. 


No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...