Tuesday, August 6, 2013

It Hisses. [Day 6]

It is just as cowardly to judge an absent person as it is wicked to strike a defenseless one. Only the ignorant and narrow-minded gossip, for they speak of persons instead of things. [Lawrence G. Lovasik]

Will Rogers said, "The only time people dislike gossip is when you gossip about them."

I think the subject of 'gossip' makes some people feel uneasy. We all do it, right? I'm writing this today because I have done it. I'm not proud of it in the slightest, but I'm owning up to it. I've talked about people. Want me to take it a step further? I've slandered people's names. I've said things about people that I have heard from others.. and I didn't even know if it was true. Can you believe that? I'm one of those hear-sayers. You hear it.. you say it. I'm also one of those people that will talk about someone behind their back, but when it comes to face-to-face confrontation, I am a sweetheart (because I hate confrontation.) I've figured out that I gossip to make myself feel 'stronger' and more 'dominate.' See, I'm a quiet one. Okay, I'm not 'quiet' in the sense that I never talk... I'm 'quiet' in the sense that I don't like trouble. I'll back down immediately if I sense some kind of confrontation beginning to take place. I don't like it one bit. But gossip makes me feel strong and in control....... 

Maybe I'm the only one like this out there. But I can't help but feel there are others that struggle with this too. I know there are... because I hear it.

I'm one of them, but it makes me so mad when I hear it spewing out of other's mouths. There are moments when it physically makes me sick. Why can't we get control of this? Why can't we think about what we are getting ready to say before we say it?

Do you know what the Bible says about our words?

Proverbs 21:23-- Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.

Proverbs 18:21--- Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Today, when you are getting ready to speak to your coworkers, your friends, your family... think about the fact that you could be giving LIFE or DEATH with your words. Are you tearing someone down with the words that you are speaking today? Are you hurting someone? Are you breaking someone's spirit? Are you breaking your own spirit? 

You might not know this... but gossip is a two-edged sword. Not only are you speaking words that could hurt someone (someone with feelings.. someone with a heart.. someone who was created by the Master)... you are also hurting your spirit. You are bringing uncleanness in to it. And it's not healthy for you.

As I previously said, I'm speaking to myself too.

We have got to QUIT this. We have got to STOP speaking ill about others, folks! It's a terrible thing to do. I don't care if this person isn't your friend. I don't care if this person has hurt you. It's no reason to speak ill about them. If they are talking bad about you-- let God handle it! He's much better at this stuff than we are. 

If you've been known to gossip in the past, it's okay-- ask for forgiveness. He has His arms open wide waiting for you. I'm one of them-- I'm pouring my heart out to Him today about how sorry I am. How could I have been like that? How could I have forgotten that it was wrong to speak ill about others? I wish we would all just grasp the fact that these people we are talking about our HUMANS... with a SOUL. They have a heart... and we must guard that. We must give life!

I don't want people talking about me.. truth or not-truth. Why do I do it about others?

Also-- a little sidenote. I've heard 'gossip' masked with other names before, but it doesn't cut it folks. I've heard, "I'm only telling you this so you can pray for them." Bologna. The Bible doesn't say go tell someone and then pray about it. You know what the Bible says? PRAY ABOUT IT. It doesn't say go tell 50 people about it and have them pray. It says YOU should PRAY ABOUT IT. So, stop masking gossip! Stop making yourself feel better about spreading lies... or spreading hurtful truth. Leave it alone. It's none of your business.

We need to all be focused on our lives-- making ourselves better. Imagine how different our world would be if we kept our noses where they belong. None of us our perfect.. so stop judging others. And stop talking about others.

It's not of Him.

“My Name Is Gossip. I have no respect for justice. I maim without killing. I break hearts and ruin lives. I am cunning and malicious and gather strength with age.

The more I am quoted the more I am believed. I flourish at every level of society. My victims are helpless. They cannot protect themselves against me because I have no name and no face.

To track me down is impossible. The harder you try, the more elusive I become. I am nobody's friend. Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same. I topple governments and ruin marriages. I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights, heartache and indigestion. I spawn suspicion and generate grief.

I make innocent people cry in their pillows. Even my name hisses. I AM CALLED GOSSIP.”
[Author Unknown]




Just Click To Send A Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs

No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...