Wednesday, December 27, 2017

A New Year, New Life




I know people say it all of the time. New year, new me. Heck, I've said it more times than I could possibly count... but I don't think there's ever been desperation for a year to mean more than any before. We always start out with these great intentions and then life gets in the way-- and we forget that spirit we had at the end of the year before.
Have you ever just sat and thought about your soul? How it truly feels inside? When you aren't 'faking' it... when you aren't with other people? When you lay in bed and night and just think of your soul... how does it feel? Does it feel heavy? Does it feel overwhelmed? Does it feel angered? Does it feel bitter? Does it feel on edge?
Because this is exactly what God doesn't want from us.
When our souls feel 'heavy'.. when we feel overwhelmed... when we feel angered.. when we feel bitter.. when we feel on edge.. chances are we affect the world around us. We make other souls feel heavy.. we make them feel overwhelmed.. we make them feel angered.. we make them feel bitter... we put them on edge. And in a world where most only care about themselves-- this simple fact should drive us to care more about the condition of our spirits.
2018 is going to be the year for me- the year of being exactly who I was called to be. I may need an accountability partner. I may need a push from time to time... but my soul deserves it. and those souls I'm around deserve it as well.
The kids and I have been reading Psalms (the Message version) at home lately and while reading it, I feel like God was revealing things to us... so we started making a list of things we are going to hang up in the bathrooms.. in the kitchen... by the closets.. a constant reminder of what we are pushing towards in 2018.
1. Chew on scripture day and night (Psalms 1:2)
2. Complain if you must but don't lash out (Psalms 4:4)
3. Keep your mouth shut- let your heart do the talking (Psalms 4:5)
4. When I need Him, He will be there (Psalms 9:4)
5. Scrub away guilt and accept forgiveness for my own sins (Psalms 51:2-3)
6. Forgive others and let go of grudges (Psalms 103:9)
7. Heal the ache in the heart of the unhappy and unfortunate (Psalms 12:5)
8. Ask God to pull us out of the ocean of hate (Psalms 18:16)
9. Pray to clean the slate every morning (Psalms 19:13)
10. Bridle your anger. Cool your pipes- it only makes things worse, (Psalms 37:8)
11. Be giving- righteous gives and gives. Generous gets it all in the end. (Psalms 37:21-22)
12. Be patient- wait passionately for God. (Psalms 37:34)
13. Use kind words. Guard your mouth. (Proverbs 15:4)
14. Develop a praise-life. (Proverbs 22:25)
15. Bless God every chance you get (Psalms 34:1)

God, I give you what I can today. I lay it all at Your feet.
2018- I'm coming for you.

No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...