Thursday, December 28, 2017

Proverbs 31 Woman- Day 12: Power of LIFE in our Tongues



We discussed the beginning of Proverbs 31:18 yesterday (She tastes and sees that her gain from work [with and for God] is good...)

and today, we will discuss the end of Proverbs 31:18.

Proverbs 31:18- "...her lamp goes not out, but it burns on continually through the night [of trouble, privation, or sorrow, warning away fear, doubt, and distrust]." (AMPC)

Proverbs 31:18- "...She works by her lamp late into the night." (ICB)

Proverbs 31:18-  "... [she] is in no hurry to call it quits for the day." (The Message)




I know there are many interpretations of the meaning of Proverbs 31. The Holy Spirit can move on individuals and they'll see what the Spirit wants them to see... what the Spirit thinks they NEED to see. Now, I'm not saying that the Bible shouldn't be taken literally in some circumstances. The morals and the law of the Bible is true and we should hold on to those Words-- love your neighbor as yourself, do not kill, honor your father and mother, repent and be baptized every one of you. But there are some parts of the Bible (such as Proverbs 31) that can be applicable to today's world... and some verses may mean different things to different people depending on what is going on in their own lives, depending on what God impresses upon them...

2 Peter 1:20-21 states, "20 But notice first that no prophecy found in Scripture is a matter of the prophet’s own interpretation. 21 Prophecy has never been a product of human initiative, but it comes when men and women are moved to speak on behalf of God by the Holy Spirit." Prophecy (speaking of the scriptures/speaking of the meaning of scriptures) comes when men and women are moved to speak on behalf of God. I'm not saying I'm a prophet or even a woman of God. I say this often, but I'm a sinner who was just saved by grace and I just pray and beg God every morning to use me for His kingdom.. even if it is something small. I just want to feel useful to Him... especially when I've been tearing down His kingdom within me for some time. So, before I even start writing these blogs, I pray that He will give me the interpretation of these verses... if someone else needs it.. if I need it. Jesus, just use me.

I usually read the verse ahead of time and pray as I'm going to bed at night that He will talk with me and reveal things. I read the end of this verse yesterday morning and I didn't feel a tug.. or have a dream... or wake up with a word on my heart. I felt very discouraged. So, I got up and came out here to write anyways. And as I kept reading this verse and listening to 'Thy Will' by Hilary Scott, God kept speaking the word LIGHT to me. (Thank You for that Jesus. You never cease to amaze me!)

The Proverbs 31 woman did not let her light go out at night. She is in no hurry to turn it off.

In John 8:12, John wrote, "Later, Jesus talked to the people again. He said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never live in darkness. They will have the light that gives life.” (ERV) 

The part that struck me about this verse is: They will have the light that GIVES LIFE.

I truly believe the Proverbs 31 woman kept her light lit all night because she was consistently prepared to give life to her family, whatever that may be. She was prepared to be their comfort, their strength, their doctor, their mother. Whatever they needed in the night.

And I truly believe that a modern day Proverbs 31 woman will be the same, but not only literally with her family at night, but also figuratively-- to the people in this world. We are called to be "the light that gives life" in John 8:12. 

In Proverbs 18:21, the author wrote, "Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit—you choose." (The Message) Words can kill or words can give life. It is completely up to you.

I read a quote today that states, "Words. So powerful. They can crush a heart, or heal it. They can shame a soul, or liberate it. They can shatter dreams, or energize them. They can obstruct connection, or invite it. They can create defenses, or melt them. We have to use words wisely." And this is the absolute truth.

Are we allowing our lives to be used as a LIGHT to other people? Or are we only bringing darkness to others, especially through our words??

Are you inspiring others with your words? or are you destroying them?
Are you blessing others with your words? Or are you stealing blessings from them?

Are you building others up with your words? Or are you tearing them down?
Are you making others feel better with your words? Or are you making them feel worse?

Are you shining God's light with your words? Or are you taking away that witness?

We can do so much good with our words... and we can do so much damage as well. It is totally up to us to make that call.

Another quote said, "Words are important. God didn't think creation into existence. He spoke it."

There is SO much power behind our words! It reveals our true character. It speaks volumes to others. 

We must continually pray over our tongue. Pray that we will shine God's light with it and that His light will GIVE LIFE to others, not take it away.

God, please watch our mouths today. Please do not let anything against Your kingdom flow from our lips today. Let us speak for the good of Your Work. Let us not be apt to tear other people down, talk about other people behind their back, or speak negative comments (to others or ourselves.) We have the power of life and death within our mouths-- and let us always remember the consequences of that. Let us GIVE LIFE to others today, Lord. Help us to compliment, uplift, encourage, and LOVE. Get rid of the gunk in our hearts, for out of the heart the mouth speaketh. If we get rid of the darkness in our hearts, only goodness can flow from our mouths. Clean our souls, Jesus! We love You and thank You for letting our candle not go out-- that we can be a light to our families, our friends... our world. Amen.

God bless you all today!

No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...