Saturday, December 30, 2017

Proverbs 31 Woman: Day 23-She Speaks With Wisdom



Proverbs 31:26- "She opens her mouth in [skillful and godly] wisdom...." (AMP)

Proverbs 31:26- "Her mouth is full of wisdom;..." (CEB)

Proverbs 31:26- "When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,...." (The Message)

Proverbs 31:26- "She conducts her conversations with wisdom,...." (Voice)




I'm the woman that blurts words out before she even thinks about it. I've had more 'foot meet mouth' moments in my life than I care to mention. I never really sat down and thought about it until God started pouring His Word in to my life. I started seeing how much self-control I didn't have-- especially over my mouth. Half the time, I talked to talk. And I'm sure the other half of the time, I wasn't lifting up God or using my words to uplift others.

According to the dictionary, wisdom is described as, " knowledge of what is true or right." When I started studying this particular blog, my one question was: What is the difference between wisdom and knowledge? 

Lifehack had a great explanation for those of us pondering this question.  

"Knowledge is the accumulation of facts and data that you have learned about or experienced. It’s being aware of something, and  having information. Knowledge is really about facts and ideas that we acquire through study, research, investigation, observation, or experience."

"Wisdom is the ability to discern and judge which aspects of that knowledge are true, right, lasting, and applicable to your life. It’s the ability to apply that knowledge to the greater scheme of life. It’s also deeper; knowing the meaning or reason; about knowing why something is, and what it means to your life."

So, knowledge is facts and data. What we have learned. It is all about information obtained through studying and researching. Wisdom is discerning what knowledge is true and right... and it is taking that knowledge and applying it to our lives. It is determining what information should be shared and what information should not be shared. What knowledge can help someone else in that moment in time?

While reading about wisdom, my heart feels like it is begging God to make me like the Proverbs 31 woman. I want my voice, my words, my thoughts to bless others... not tear anyone down. I want my voice to be an encouraging voice. My words to be words that will change a life. How many of our words are cold? How many of our words do not enhance the silence?

James 1:5 states, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." (KJV) I love the Voice version of this verse as well. "If you don’t have all the wisdom needed for this journey, then all you have to do is ask God for it; and God will grant all that you need. He gives lavishly and never scolds you for asking." I know I don't have all the wisdom I WANT or NEED for this journey of life.... so today, I pour my heart out to God for it! I want to learn as much about His Word I can so that I can apply to it my life... and that He can help me bless others with it.

Charles Spurgeon once stated, "Wisdom is the right use of knowledge." And I think that sums up what we are striving for today. We want to have knowledge, but we also want to know when and how to use it appropriately... for the edification of God, ourselves, and others around us.

Proverbs 2:6 states, "For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding." (KJV) 

Proverbs 8:11 states, "For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it." (KJV)

When I read these verses, I realize how PRECIOUS wisdom is. It is something to be treasured and sought after. 

God, help us to seek wisdom today. Help us to understand how valuable it is to our lives. Help us to see it's purpose and the goodness that can flow from it. Help us to obtain as much knowledge as we can about Your Word, Your Love... and help us to learn when to apply that to our lives and to the lives of others. You have called us speak with wisdom. Guard our mouths against things we should not be saying or repeating. Help us to be wise of the enemy's tricks-- the tricks of gossip, slander, strife, bitterness. And help us to learn to speak things that can enhance our lives and others. Our tongues can create a healthy spirit within us or destroy it. Help us to be examples of YOU. We love You Jesus!

No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...