Friday, March 9, 2018

Ecclesiastes Part 2 (March 8th)





I thought we would continue our discussion on Ecclesiastes today. 

In Ecclesiastes chapter 9, we read:

"Each and every day of your precarious life. Each day is God's gift. It's all you get in exchange for the hard work of staying alive. Make the most of each one!"

Like I always say- as someone who struggles with anxiety- this really hit home for me.

I know I certainly struggle with making the best of each one.

I spend some days just scared of basically everything- and some days, I have no idea why. BUT, reading this verse sent conviction through out my entire body. What am I doing with my life? Letting fear rob me of actually making the most of my days? Absolutely. And this is something that I SHOULD NOT be doing. It breaks God's heart. He gave me each day as a gift- for me to live- not just survive.

Ecclesiastes chapter 9 also hit home for me when I read: "Sooner or later bad luck hits us all."

I know we all get down at times and think 'Why me?' We look at other's lives and think they have it all together, but truth be told, we probably just don't see when they're down on their luck (at times.) But God reminds us- sooner or later bad luck hits us all. It is just part of life. We have to get through the tough times, to get through the good times.

Ecclesiastes 10:1 states, "Dead flies in perfume make it stink, and a little foolishness decomposes much wisdom."

Reading this verse has caused a prayer to pour out of my soul- Jesus, please release any kind of foolishness in my life so that wisdom can flow. Wisdom, according to the dictionary, is "the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment." I want good judgment in my life. I want knowledge that can help in every situation that I face. And I want foolishness out of my life. God, please help me.

Ecclesiastes continues the discussion of wisdom by stating, "Wise thinking leads to right living; stupid thinking leads to wrong living." (Ecclesiastes 10:2)

Prayers should pour from us-- God release foolishness-- God grant wisdom. Wisdom leads to right living: a desire that is so close to my heart! 

A calm disposition quiets intemperate rage. (Ecclesiastes 10:4) 

Wow, this hits home: when you are facing an argument- when you encounter someone with rage-- a calm disposition can calm it. You have a choice to REACT. You can react with peace and a calm spirit or you can react fire with fire. The choice is yours, but just note: someone cannot get mad at you for keeping your cool. When you keep your cool, you will not say things you don't mean. When you keep your cool, you will not act in a manner you regret. Keeping calm is key!

The words of a wise person are gracious.
The talk of a fool self-destructs- 
He starts out talking nonsense
And ends up spouting insanity and evil.

Once again-- God, please help us be wise! Help us to not use words of self-destruction. Help us to not spew insanity and evil. Guard our hearts. Guard our minds. Guard our mouths. Guard our lives, Jesus.

And through this guarding, God... help us be a blessing to others. Ecclesiastes 11:2 says, "Be a blessing to others. This could be your last night."

We have got to put ourselves aside and think about others. Let kindness pour from our hearts. Let a giving spirit from our souls. God, help us be a blessing to others. Please. 

And Ecclesiastes continues the thought from Ecclesiastes chapter 9. Ecclesiastes 11:7 says, "Even if you live a long time, don't take a single day for granted."

God, help us not to take a single day for granted. Let us live our lives to the fullest, being the best version of ourselves we can be.

And as if I hadn't received enough conviction through Ecclesiastes, LOL, Ecclesiastes 11:9 says,"You who are young make the most of your youth. Relish your youthful vigor. Follow the impulses of your heart. If something looks good to you, pursue it. But know also that not just anything goes. You have to answer to God for every last bit of it."

After reading this, conviction stabbed me... and repentance overcame me. God forgive me for following youthful vigor and for making mistakes that probably broke your heart. Please wash me clean and love me wholly.

Happy 365 Day Blog Challenge!




No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...