Sunday, March 4, 2018

Fear. (March 4th)





I read a Bible verse last night that stated-

"Fear-of-God is life itself, a full life, and serene- no nasty surprises." (Proverbs 19:23-The Message)

Other versions of the Bible state:

"The fear of the Lord leads to life, so that one may sleep satisfied, untouched by evil." (Amplified)

"Reverence for God gives life, happiness, and protection from harm." (The Living Bible)

"Showing respect to the Lord brings true life- if you do it, you can relax without fear of danger. (CEB)

"Obey the Lord and you will live a long life content and safe from harm." (GNT)

The fear of the Lord is a difficult concept to understand. Many hear 'fear' and think we must be afraid of God... but that isn't the case at all. He is the most loving person we will ever experience and being afraid of Him should never be our driving force.

Fear (i.e. being afraid of something, especially God) is unhealthy to our bodies and spirits. This kind of fear robs your sleep, robs your life. (Hi pot, meet kettle-- I realize I'm talking about how unhealthy fear is as I battle every single day with anxiety and FEAR; however, that's something God and I are working on. We'll get there.)

God didn't come to us to watch us burn our lives away because of unhealthy fear. In John chapter 10, Jesus states, "I am the Gate. Anyone who goes through me will be cared for—will freely go in and out, and find pasture. A thief is only there to steal and kill and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of." He came so we could have REAL life. A better life than we could have ever dreamed of. He didn't come to watch us waste our life with worry and crippling anxiety. (Keep speaking to me Lord, I need it!)

There is a healthy fear, however. 

The fear of the Lord discussed in the Bible is: respect, reverence. And understanding of His power and strength.

According to Life, Hope, and Truth, "The fear of God is an attitude of respect, a response of reverence and wonder. It is the only appropriate response to our Creator and Redeemer” (Nelson’s NKJV Study Bible, 1997, note on Psalm 128:1).

It is a response of WONDER. We wonder at what He is capable of. What His power can do. What praying to Him can do for our lives.

And as Proverbs states: Reverencing God.... understanding His power... all of this leads to a full life. A SERENE life. (And since serenity means calm, peaceful, tranquil, unruffled--- we can only conclude that the FEAR of God leads to a life FREE OF FEAR.)

Let me say that one more time because I need to hear it again.

The FEAR (REVERENCE, RESPECT) of GOD leads to a life FREE OF FEAR (a CALM, SERENE life.)

Proverbs 14:26 says The fear of God builds up confidence.
Proverbs 9:10 say, The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom...

Respecting God leads to confidence, wisdom, peace.
Honoring God with every aspect of our lives leads to confidence, wisdom, and peace.

Help me to fear You Lord. Help me to honor You with my life. Help me to be pleasing...

Because I love You.
Because I need wisdom.
Because I need confidence.
Because I need peace.






No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...