Sunday, March 11, 2018

Hard Times (March 11th)






I talk about tough times.
A lot.

Let me just be honest here- sometimes I feel like if we didn't have bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all. I know that sounds pessimistic, but bare with me here. I'm just being honest with you. I'm human and I have those helpless feelings more times than I can count (even though I read in His Word that I'm not supposed to be feel that way! It's just human nature I suppose-- and I constantly have to put those feelings and thoughts under the blood.)

I read Psalms 73 not too long ago.. and I promise, I highlighted the entire chapter. Next to it, I wrote "I've said this entire chapter more times than I can count!!"

And I really have.

Psalms 73 starts off with something we all know and try to believe 100% of the time:

No doubt about it. God is good! Good to good people, good to the good-hearted.

It's true.

He's amazing!

BUT, verse 2 already starts with our human nature.

"But I nearly missed seeing His goodness. I was looking the other way, looking up to the people at the top, envying the wicked who have it made, who have nothing to worry about, not a care in the whole wide world."

The author continues in verse 11, 'What's going on here? Is God out to lunch? Nobody's tending the store. The wicked get by with everything. They have it made, piling up riches. I've been stupid to play by the rules. What has it gotten me? A long run of bad luck- that's what. A slap in the face every time I walk out the door."

Haven't we all been there. We have watched people who we felt were 'less deserving' receive blessing after blessing. We have wondered whether being a good person gets us anywhere. We have felt like our morals were only weighing us down.

And then.... I'm sure the author had to step back and pray. Pray to see things from God's perspective. Pray to have an attitude adjustment...

And once he stepped back and sought the face of God, he saw things differently.

In verse 15, the author continues, "If I had given in and talked like this, I would have betrayed your dear children. Still, when I tried to figure it all out, all I got was a splitting headache. UNTIL I entered the sanctuary of God. Then I saw the whole picture. The slippery road you've put them on, with a final crash in a ditch of delusions. In the blink of an eye, disaster! A blind curve in the dark and- nightmare.'

While we never wish anyone ill, the author realized that not everything is as it seems. While we think 'the wicked' have it made and are living 'the good life' ... everything comes full circle. Wickedness only leads to more wickedness which has a destructive end.

When we begin to compare lives with other people- a dangerous thing happens. Bitterness and envy enter in to our hearts and overwhelm us. The author talks about being consumed by bitterness and envy. UNTIL he got in to the presence of the Lord.

If we can just get there. Get in to His presence and see things from His point of view. In His presence, He will take our hand, lead us, and BLESS US.

We just have to get there.

And stay there.

The author finishes Psalms 73 by stating, "You're all I want in heaven. You're all I want on earth... God is my rock- firm and faithful. Look! Those who left you are falling apart. BUT I'm in the presence of God. Oh how refreshing it is!"

Even when days get rough... even when we feel like we have been betrayed and others are living 'a better life' we have to trust that God has everything in His hands... and we have to promise Him to never leave His side. He WILL bless us. He WILL keep us. We just have to trust and remain by His side.


No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...