Thursday, March 15, 2018

SPIRIT (March 15th)







Isaiah.

I finished the book of Isaiah last night- and I feel like there is just so much to share from this book. A book of prophecy- a book of encouragement- a book of salvation.

There are 66 chapters in the book of Isaiah, so I plan on splitting this discussion up over the next few days. I hope you enjoy this journey of Isaiah as much as I have.

One thing that immediately stuck out to me in Isaiah chapter 1 is:

"I'm sick of your religion, religion, religion, while you go right on sinning. When you put up your next prayer performance, I'll be looking the other way. No matter how long or loud or how often you pray, I'll not be listening. And do you know why? Because you've been tearing people to pieces and your hands are bloody. Go home and wash up. Clean up your act. Sweep your lives clean of evil doings so I don't have to look at them any longer." (Isaiah 1:14-15)

I'm sick of your religion- your performances. 

God was tired of fakeness. Of people acting like they were worshipping Him and living a good life-- and then they would turn around and hurt others. God isn't impressed with LOOKING like we are holy. He just wants holiness-- in private and public.

In these verses, He talks about what He doesn't want from us.

In the next two verses, He talks about what He DOES want from us. 

"Say no to wrong. Learn to do good. Work for justice. Help the down-and-out. Stand up for the homeless. Go to bat for the defenseless."

Be a GOOD person. Just be GOOD-- kind, compassionate, forgiving, loving, moral. He doesn't expect perfection. He doesn't want religion. He wants GOODNESS. 

In Chapter 2, Isaiah writes: "People with a big head are headed for a fall, pretentious egos brought down a peg." The one thing I took from this chapter is: don't have a big head. Get control of your pride.

Pride is the high opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority. It is dangerous to have a high opinion of oneself. Now, this isn't to say we cannot have self-esteem. It is important to treasure yourself and your worth-- pride is seeing no flaw within yourself. You can see your best qualities and nothing else. 

One verse in chapter 3 really stuck out to me. "Reassure the righteous that their good living will pay off." I know it seems hopeless sometimes. I know there are moments where you think 'Why do I even try? Why do I have morals? The people that seem to have no morals live such good lives. Where do I get being a good person?" But God assures us-- good living WILL pay off! 

It reminds us that being a good person is beneficial both in this life... and after.

Chapter 7 begins talking about prophecy- we will talk about that in a different blog.

In chapter 8, one thing discussed is: "When people tell you, 'Try out the fortunetellers. Consult the spiritualists. Why not tap into the spirit-world, get in touch with the dead?' Tell them, "No we're going to consult the Scriptures." 

We are warned to not trust fortunetellers. To not seek answers anywhere else but His precious Word. It has everything we could ever need. It truly tells us the facts: we have a hope beyond this life and He holds every situation in His hands. That's all I need to know.

One cry I found myself pleading while reading Isaiah is from Isaiah chapter 11:

"The life giving Spirit of God will hover over him. The Spirit that brings wisdom and understanding, the Spirit that gives direction and builds strength, the Spirit that instills knowledge and fear of God."

This became my prayer. To fill me up with His spirit so I could have wisdom... have understanding... have direction... have strength... have knowledge.. have the fear of God. That became my heartfelt desire and still is. 

We will continue our discussion of Isaiah tomorrow! Hope everyone is having a faith filled week! 




No comments:

August 13th Journal Prompt: Anger.

 The journal prompt of the day is: How do you deal with your anger? I bottle a lot of my emotions up inside. If I feel anger- it may show on...